Saturday, October 20, 2012

Downtown and Forest Park



Back to Sayers' visit: This is the mosaic-ed ceiling of the Soldiers Memorial, which is dedicated to the soldiers from St. Louis who died in World War I. I love the gold and silver and the art deco-ness. The star in the ceiling is dedicated to the mothers of the soldiers.



 A working class Bridge of Sighs on steroids:



Next, I showed Sayers around my school and Forest Park. Here's the statue of St. Louis, which is in front of the art museum.




I love the pool and fountains and lawn in front of the art museum. It's one of my favorite spots in St. Louis so far--it reminds me of the grounds around some old, lovely central European estate. Maybe I love it because it's the closest thing to a hill that I've found in the area.
























In the evening, we checked out my roommate's bar. All I have to say it, he's very cool: French New Wave films play silently on a wall on one side of the room, etc.

Also, we tried to find this participatory art thing that was supposed to copy Burning Man. We ended up in an area that I wasn't familiar with and seemed sort of sketch (which I could have imagined would be the case if I'd really thought about it), so I pulled a U-turn and we called it a night. 

No comments: