Sunday, October 21, 2012

The Cards


A friend of a friend had an extra ticket to a Cardinals' playoff game this weekend. Alas, we thought it would be the game that let the Cardinals into the World Series, but that will have to be later. Anyway, despite the fact that I am the farthest thing in the world from a fan of baseball, I tend to not turn down free things. (Plus, I figured it would be the fastest way to get initiated as a St. Louisian: these people take their baseball seriously.) (Above: the Budweiser Clydesdales--it is Busch Stadium, after all.)


Sadly, it wasn't the most exciting baseball game ever: the Cardinals never scored, and for 4 of the Giants' 5 runs, we were downstairs ordering food.

But the stadium is gorgeous--it's right down town, surrounded by tall buildings, the beautiful Old Courthouse, which is where the Dred Scott case was tried, and the Arch. The Arch is also cut into the grass in the outfield.


I don't know what to say about the game: I paid attention the whole time, which I think was impressive. The fans were crazy, waving their towels in circles. There is a player named Jon Jay. Ha--like the Founder! He looks like he's 12 in his picture.

I enjoyed the game, although I find it exhausting to care so much about something you have no control over. I find it exhausting enough to care about the things that I do have some control over.

No comments: