Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The National Building Museum and the Christmas Market, DC


P1070089

NK has been itching for these pictures for a couple of days, so I thought I'd better oblige. Francisco and I joined NK and ZK (not related) for a stroll, which included a tour of the National Building Museum, one of the most awe-inspiring interiors in DC.

They were decorating and practicing for a Christmas concert.

P1070092

I love the tops of the columns, which are larger than life. And you can just barely see the row of busts near the ceiling in the picture below. There are supposed to be 234.

P1070091

In the evening we walked through a Christmas Market in front of the National Portrait Gallery/American Art Museum. It reminded me of how I imagine European Christmas markets are--prettily situated in front of grand old buildings.

P1070100


This is just across the street--the Hotel Monaco (which used to be the Post Office Building).

P1070103

1 comment:

Diana said...

I love these photos! Cities do Christmas so well!