Friday, February 8, 2013

Penguin Parade!


P1080151

On several Sundays during the winter, the St. Louis Zoo hosts a Penguin Parade! I have a weakness for parades and for zoos, so I joined loads of little kids and a couple of grandparents to watch the penguins march down the parade route, stopping to interact with people (and scare some little children) (the penguins did, not me) along the way.

P1080174

There were two kinds of penguins. They walked slowly and sometimes just stood still until the parade organizers nudged them forward.

They really did scare little kids: the little boy in front of me was watching one penguin, while another moved to within a couple of inches of his face. I gently pointed out the penguin that was close to him and he started screaming and looked at me with a face that said that this whole business was my fault.

P1080169

If I had kids, I think I would take them every week to see the penguins.

P1080180

Of course, it would be for their amusement, rather than my own.

P1080161

P1080206

4 comments:

Diana said...

I love these photos! I also love penguins. Such classy birds.

hopkins said...

i;m coming to st. louis next winter if you're still there, so we can see this! SOOOOOOOOO great.

Miss Self-Important said...

Pretty much the best use of birds ever.

Emily Hale said...

Guys: I really loved the penguins too. But: A triple rainbow?! Oh my goodness. 6th time in 250 years!