Thursday, February 7, 2013

Sea Lions

P1080225

I was stressed out this week. As the one wedding book I own, which Francisco found on the "take me" table in his apartment, says (I paraphrase)--the wedding expectations of the culture create bridezillas and then criticize you for being one.

Anyways, to get away from the wedding stress and career stress, I went to (you can probably guess) the zoo.

P1080234

Swimming things are the best de-stressors. I rarely feel as peaceful as I do when watching the sea lions swim. They're like muscular torpedoes, twirling and playing in the water. Their eyes seem to be closed--how do they know to turn at just the right moment? Their long noses and whiskers lead them souring through the water.

P1080220

They often swim upside down, just bragging about how effortless this all is for them. They turn at almost 90 degree angles, slowing from time to time to tip their nose out of the water for a breath.

I love the sense of wonder of everyone watching--even adults are entranced and their excitement slips out in exclamations. 

P1080216

No comments: