Thursday, May 9, 2013

A (Short) Random Assortment



~ Above--What happens when you wring out a washcloth in space?

~ Pizza Hut's craziest crusts--cheeseburgers, chicken fingers and mozzarella sticks, shrimp rolls, etc. Ew.

~ I don't know about these objections to that Dove Real Beauty Sketches commercial, but I have my own. Cardigan said that some of her co-workers cried as they watched it. I don't really want to criticize something that helps people have a healthier view of themselves. But: while I like how I look a lot, I'm still fairly intimately acquainted with all my wrinkles and moles and grey hairs and the way my nose is a little pug (Stearns is always happy to point that out to me). These things don't make me think I'm unattractive, but they're facts about myself that I see up-close in the mirror every morning. Someone who meets me randomly and then is asked to describe me may very well miss my blemishes. Or, she may simply focus on the positive as we are, in polite society, taught to do. But part of knowing (and, I might add, loving) yourself is knowing what's good and what's a little quirky and coming to terms with it all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was interesting, not your usual fare! papa leopard

Emily Hale said...

Thanks! Good work with navigating the comment process!