Thursday, June 27, 2013

A Random Assortment

~ Fascinating pictures of the intersection between politics and art--old and new memorials of the Haymarket Affair in Chicago.

~ Rest in peace, George Carey, TME. (Wonderful, kind remembrances here from many men I know and love. Although from the looks of this list, you wouldn't think that Carey had met any women.) A kind man with a sparkling, understated sense of humor. I audited an independent study on the Agrarians with him, several years ago. Every time my colleague, JBL, and I entered the room, he would say, "Hi, friend. Hi, Emily." I think by the end of the semester, he would just say, "Hi friends." But it took him a long while. And then there was the class in which he gave JBL a small bag of chips. Charming. (TME is the best nickname ever.)

~ I love eggplant. And I love this picture:


~ And I love tennis.

~ "A plague of women’s backs is upon us in the book cover world." ("Show Some Spine")

~ On learning to ride a bike at 33:
I crashed into a fence. I crashed into a garbage can filled with extra pedals. I crashed into a woman whose jeans had a design that caught my eye. Evidently, staring at an obstruction guarantees you’ll steer into it. I wish one of the teachers had pointed this out, because it seems important.

1 comment:

Sonetka said...

Re: Show Some Spine -- it seems like the (literal) flip side of the now-standard historical novel cover, which features a woman in sometimes-accurate period dress either looking away or whose head isn't shown at all -- again, something about preserving the mystery there, or allowing the reader to imagine herself into the character's place without too much trouble.