Friday, July 19, 2013

Wedding Reflections.3

Our rehearsal was pretty smooth, I think, thanks to Fr. O.P. being super calm. I think it was also a mere half an hour or 45 minutes. Aside from Francisco's brother and Ilana getting a little turned around (he put his arm through hers), it was all straight forward.

Afterward, we met up at the Herdic House (where Tina Fey had Christmas dinner one year). Francisco and I love the main dining room there. It was lovely and delicious and hot! (I guess that's what we get for having a wedding in July, but air conditioning has been invented, and can just be turned down, can't it?) It was wonderful to have friends and family gathered together--I hadn't seen Cummings for three years! We met up with Dillard and Cardigan on the patio for drinks afterward. At the end of the evening I was utterly exhausted, and Ilana drove us all home.

The toasts were a lot of fun. Just after NK introduced the fun, Mama Leopard jumped up. The jist of her toast was a thank you to Francisco for marrying me. She explained how my friendship with Diana was the sole result of her prayers ("I prayed for her to have just one friend.") And how she used to thank my college friends for being friends with me (she actually used to make them snacks to thank them). And now she's grateful that someone was (finally) interested in marrying me. Hopkins toasted us to the tune of a Laurie Colwin novel (Happy All the Time). Francisco's brother sang Francisco's praises; Francisco's whole family made me feel incredibly welcomed into the family. Everyone made fun of how much I talk.
Fair enough.

No comments: