Saturday, July 20, 2013

Wedding Reflections.4

The wedding morning I woke up an hour early. I was incredibly annoyed--I had set my alarm for 8:30, and that's when I'd wanted to wake up. It takes a lot for me to not sleep to my satisfaction, but there was a lot to do: I had to finish packing and carry things out to the car. And then, while Francisco was enjoying a lovely breakfast with our friends at the Herdic Inn (of which I'll probably never stop being jealous), I had my hair and make-up done. Thankfully, it was as painless as possible--a friend came to my house and fixed it all up (my hair and make-up), while Diana buzzed around taking photos. It was lovely to be around such nice people and old friends that morning. I put my jewely on, and then had to take it off and fake putting it on again for the pictures.

After picking up Francisco and NK, we drove to Gypsy's house to pick up the very beautiful bouquet and boutonniere that Hopkins made. Hopkins had a hard job: Francisco prefers white wedding flowers; I like brightly colored ones. He likes elegant hot-house flowers; I like wildflowers. Hopkins integrated both--white roses and Queen Anne's lace; lots of whites and pale colors and greenery, with a few little bright pink wild roses. It was lovely to see the side-of-the-road thistles on the edges. They added a local kick to the bouquet.

Gypsy and her mother and her daughter came down to say hello (they all live in one fairy tale house). Miss Gypsy was super shy at first, but when we turned to leave to meet the photographer, she decided that I needed to come upstairs to play. "I have toys," she said, as if that point would be sure to seal the deal. Sadly, the photographer was waiting.

NK was the perfect best man. He drove us all around, cooled off the car for us in advance, and helped with every little thing. He even served as a secondary, meta-photographer with his iPhone. He also made fun of us, where appropriate.

I love our photographer: he was calm and patient and kind. He was #1tomatolover and Ilana's physics teacher in high school, which is how we found him. Every once in a while, while he was photographing us, he showed us a picture that he particularly liked, in order to keep up our spirits after hours of photographs and show us that it would all be forth it in the end. He accommodated our wishes as far as possible and just couldn't have been nicer to work with. The only thing I noticed at the end of the day is that he more or less had us repeat the same three poses every time--first we had our arms around each other, then we turned to look into each others' eyes, then we stole a little kiss. Then, a new location and repeat. We stopped at Alabaster, our favorite Williamsport coffee shop, as part of our photo shoot, since we love coffee shops and fell in love in one.

2 comments:

Diana said...

Remind me that we need to swap coffee shop love details.

Emily Hale said...

Hahahaha. Yes.