Monday, September 16, 2013

Chinatown and Blue Jasmine



In adjusting to a new house and new jobs, Francisco and I haven't yet spent too much time in the city of Philadelphia. Although when Mama and Papa Leopard and #1tomatolover visited last weekend, we went to Victor Cafe, where your waiters are also opera singers and you get arias between courses.

Anyway, Francisco wanted to see Blue Jasmine, which I was a little hesitant about. So we made that more palatable to me by meeting up with Sayers and Mr. Sayers in Chinatown for hand drawn noodle soup first (at Nan Zhou Hand Drawn Noodle House). This soup is one of my favorite things. I like mine with sliced beef--the beef seems to me like it's been marinated in something. The soup has cabbage and spinach and loads of cilantro. And the noodles are wonderful.

Beforehand, I embarked on a frustrating search for tapioca pearls for bubble tea. This week I read about how to make your own bubble tea. The hardest part is finding the right sort of tapioca pearls. Now, I haven't thought about bubble tea for years, but now that I read that article, I'm salivating and can't stop thinking about it. Anyway, I thought the best place to look would be the gigantic Chinese grocery that I visited several years ago with my cousin. Sadly, due to a time crunch and my inability to communicate in several of the stores that I entered, I left empty-handed.




After dinner, we walked as fast as we could to the movie theater to see Blue Jasmine.

I wasn't particularly looking forward to it. The trailer implied it was the story of a wealthy socialite's decline. But the twist is (SPOILERS HERE), it wasn't even about her decline--it's simply about her sister's (and, more importantly, the audience's) realization that she's always been sociopath (in Francisco's words)--she's unchangingly self-obsessed, caring nothing for people other than herself. Together with Jasmine's sister, you have to stop envying her and pitying her and realize that your life is just fine the way it is, thank you very much.

2 comments:

Sonetka said...

Blue Jasmine sounds very tempting -- I'm only held back by the fact that I can't stand recent Woody Allen. Any chance this could appeal to one of the three people on the planet who hated Midnight In Paris and wanted Fitzgerald and/or Hemingway to shove that whimpering protagonist into the Seine?

Also, just wanted to say that I really liked seeing your recent Chicago photos. They've reminded me that I really need to spend more time there than one week every five years or so.

Emily Hale said...

Thanks!

Eh--hard to predict--I didn't really love either film. Francisco just takes me along... (but they are very different)