Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Vienna


Francisco and I spent a day, just the two of us, in Vienna. Closest thing to a honeymoon that we've managed.

Above--St. Rupprecht (I think--it's at least in the church of St. Rupprecht, so I'd guess it's him) literally under an altar, visible through glass. Bennett and I stumbled upon this years ago in Vienna--it just blows my mind.

It always reminds me of Revelations 6:9-11, although I have no idea if there's any connection:

And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.


By the river, near our hotel (that's how you know it was a honeymoon--we splurged on a hotel), there was tons of graffiti. I love it.


(This one was actually in Bratislava, I think.)


I visited the Secession Building in Vienna (right). It was built to house exhibits of members of the Secession movement. What I wanted to see was the Beethoven Frieze, a Klimt frieze made for a 1902 exhibit. I love Klimt. The Beethoven Frieze is crazy. Here are the pieces--except they're all around the top of a room in a graphic-novel sort of arrangement:





We went to the Naschmarkt, in part because I love these Otto Wagner apartments beside the market.




Photo credit: Francisco
The market was nice, too. It is huge! And full of tons of different kinds of food.


An Otto Wagner train station.


St. Stephen's.


I love the architecture in Vienna.

No comments: