Friday, May 31, 2019

A Random Assortment

~ On Dollar General and rural America

~ I both love Barbara Cooney and am deeply skeptical of Miss Rumphius.

~ The psychiatrist who didn't believe in mental illness.

~ I love this--some (not all) is familiar to me: On motherhood and tenure. 

~ "Women's Work"

~ A home birth midwife was arrested in New York.

~ This is not a problem where I teach, but I've heard of this: Faking disability.

~ Our much-loved Viva Video on tv!

~ Rediscovering Rembrandts.

~ Terrible real estate pictures.

~ How our careers affect our children.

~ I didn't realize that John Burningham (may he rest in peace) was married to Helen Oxenbury.

~ I would like to read this translation of the Hebrew Bible.

~ "The Parable of Perfect Silence." I don't, unfortunately, read much poetry anymore. This was wonderful.

~ This article about taking a train across the country is great.

2 comments:

hopkins said...

if you read the whole "women's work" book, let me know if its worthwhile. it was a really compelling excerpt.

Emily Hale said...

It's on my amazon shopping list but you know, the chance of me reading something not required for class or research is...not high:)