Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Sabbatical

 

I'm a bit overwhelmed--I'm taking on too many things at once just now. Too many balls in the air, I guess, as they say. Not sure what to do about that. 

Above: some writing snacks for second breakfast. 



This morning--mass to pray for a friend from St. Louis who died. 


Yesterday: I got really caught up in my presentation (tomorrow!) preparation. I worked too long on it (more to do today), but it was so fun. I'm trying something new--having the attendees sketch the ideas I'm expressing as I go. Could be a big failure. We'll see. But it was so fun and led me to some good thinking. By the time I left the coffee shop, I was starving, so I stopped for the stuffed Turkish flatbread (spinach and cheese)--so good in the cold misting rain. 


Then I went shoe shopping. It appears my feet are too big for the UK. The staff was not super helpful so I just moved to looking at men's shoes, which may be the way to go. Then I wanted new clothes for my date that evening. Plus my jeans are mostly too big or have an enormous hole in the inner thigh, which I have to admit is a problem. So I stopped at a couple of thrift stores and found a new outfit for the evening. 


I picked up the kids and fed them tacos and hopped on a zoom. Our neighbor came over to babysit and we walked two blocks to a very hip and fun dinner in an old garage. We made a reservation for 6 so we could be home in time to put the kids to bed, which meant we were the first ones there by a long shot. We ate mussels, broad beans, lamb in a really good mint sauce, and cavatelli with asparagus. And a sweet vanilla custard for desert. Very nice--we wanted to get an evening at this restaurant in before we have to leave. 


Blaze is studying what I guess in the UK they call "minibeasts"--I think this means insects plus? 

Every night when Blaze climbs into his bed with me to read and cuddle, he giggles happily. A delight. 

Today was a local feast of Sts. Erkenwald and Mellitus, ancient bishops of London. The latter really sounds like an illness. 


No comments: