Sunday, May 31, 2009

Time and Eternity

I'm reading the Time and Eternity chapter near the end of Augustine's Confessions in preparation for my class this summer. I am struck by the overlap with Eliot's Four Quartets. Unfortunately, I'm not the first person to have noticed this. Regardless, I shall give you, dear reader, lines:

A: "your eternal word in silence"

E: Words, after speech, reach
Into the silence. Only by the form, the pattern,
Can words or music reach
The stillness,


A: "everything which begins to be and ceases to be begins and ends its existence at that moment when, in the eternal reason where nothing begins or ends, it is known that it is right to begin and end. The reason is your Word, which is also the Beginning"

E: "
Or say that the end precedes the beginning,
And the end and the beginning were always there
Before the beginning and after the end."

and

"
In my beginning is my end."

and

"I am here
Or there, or elsewhere. In my beginning."


A: "who live in a multiplicity of distractions by many things" and "My hope, let not my attention be distracted."

E: "
Only a flicker
Over the strained time-ridden faces
Distracted from distraction by distraction"


A: "In the eternal, nothing is transient, but the whole is present. But no time is wholly present. ... all past and future are created and set on their course by that which is always present."

E: "
Time present and time past
Are both perhaps present in time future,
And time future contained in time past.
If all time is eternally present
All time is unredeemable."


A: "Your 'years' neither go nor come. Ours come and go so that all may come in succession."

E: In my beginning is my end. In succession
Houses rise and fall, crumble, are extended,
Are removed, destroyed, restored, or in their place
Is an open field, or a factory, or a by-pass.


A: "I have heard a learned person say that the movements of sun, moon, and stars in themselves constitute time. But I could not agree. Why should not time consist rather of the movement of all physical objects?"

E:
"The dance along the artery
The circulation of the lymph
Are figured in the drift of stars
"

and

"Keeping time,
Keeping the rhythm in their dancing
As in their living in the living seasons
The time of the seasons and the constellations
The time of milking and the time of harvest
The time of the coupling of man and woman
"

and

"
The tolling bell
Measures time not our time, rung by the unhurried
Ground swell, a time
Older than the time of chronometers, older
Than time counted by anxious worried women
Lying awake, calculating the future,
Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,"


A: "until that day when, purified and molten by the fire of your love, I flow together to merge into you"

E: "Lies in the choice of pyre of pyre—
To be redeemed from fire by fire.
"

and

"When the tongues of flame are in-folded
Into the crowned knot of fire
And the fire and the rose are one.
"

1 comment:

Wystan said...

I daresay that last Augustine sounds rather Neo-platonic.