Tuesday, January 4, 2011

New Year's.2: You Had to Be There

This New Year's Eve was a family affair--the siblings, minus Ilana, spent the evening with two our our cousins. In the course of the evening, we ran into a guy with whom Stearns and I had gone to grade school. When we mentioned that we lived in DC, he shared the story of the one time he'd visited DC--on the eighth grade field trip with our little Christian school. My grade school friend became nervous when they announced that the next place they were stopping was the Federal Building, because he'd just (moments before) bought a knife from another guy on the trip. He said that when they went through security, the security guard took three of the boys aside and confiscated "all of our weapons."

We stopped at Sheetz for food at the end of the evening. While we were there, a random (drunk) guy, walking by, said, barely glancing at me, "I like your flower," referring to my flower brooch from Hopkins. I was very pleased, especially because I'd asked my sisters earlier in the evening whether or not it was appropriate for going out, and smiled and stuck my nose in the air. #1tomatolover countered, "Emily, he was being sarcastic!" The random guy, from halfway down a different aisle, defended himself, "No I wasn't. It was felt, but I liked it."


(picture)

No comments: