Sunday, June 10, 2012

St. Augustine, the Churches


In addition to the school in St. Augustine, the churches are architectural wonders. The Catholic Cathedral in St. Augustine is the church of the first Catholic parish in America. (The picture above is of a side chapel. I'm most intrigued by the presence of a doll rather than a statue--I've seen plenty in Europe, but never one in America.)




The bell tower was built later when the church itself was rebuilt after a fire.


The other churches in town were built by the same man who built the school.


Here's Grace United Methodist.


And here's Ancient City Baptist--I think that this one's my favorite.


This is certainly the grandest, Memorial Presbyterian:














There's some really wonderful stained glass in the church. I can't remember who the artist is.



2 comments:

Sr. Margarita Aloysius said...

Forgive Sister for being a little pedantic. You do know that's not a "doll," but rather a replica of the Infant Jesus of Prague, yes? Who catechized you??

Emily Hale said...

Ha! No--I didn't realize that!

I think that there are other "dolls," though, too--I remember seeing one somewhere in Europe with Stearns where there had been a Marian apparition to two little children in the hills.