Friday, May 3, 2024

Sabbatical

What a relief--I woke up this morning decidedly improved. Not totally better, but definitely on my way. Hope! I probably won't feel like this forever!

Neighborhood nostalgia

Ditto. I like this place, even though it uses obscene marketing to which I object.

Today involves an adventure with Francisco in the rain--the cause of some (great) stress because I don't have shoes that stay dry in the rain--part of my great sprained-foot shoe problem of 2024. At least my foot allows me now to walk as much as I like. And I will not die from wet feet. 



But yesterday I was still under the weather--I wrote, slept, wrote some more. Graham Green's Ministry of Fear kept me good company. At this juncture, I'm convinced my book will be total crap and should be shipped off immediately to a bottom shelf publisher. Pushing off my chapter draft deadline another week. 



Francisco had a long, happy lunch with a friend. I picked up the kids, took them to the park, became overwhelmed and exhausted, brought them home and went back to bed. Then I woke up to make dinner, which was relatively disgusting (I overcooked the sausages until they were tough and shriveled and the mashed potatoes had not enough butter and salt and pepper)--we'll blame the illness--because making dinner was easier for me than talking to the kids (which Francisco took on). 




Then I made the artichokes. I had fun eating them, and the kids tolerated tasting them as a family activity--we compared the taste of the three different artichokes. The main thing I learned--Deb's Smitten Kitchen dip for artichokes--mayo and lemon juice--is indeed sublime. The only other time I ate fresh artichokes--do you remember Stearns?--was just after our arrival in Madrid at the house of our first cousin once removed, dipped in oil or butter, and it was heavenly. (I also discovered last night that our knives are dull as all get out.)



Oh, I also photographed the fox in the yard. Francisco said it looked exactly like the Fantastic Mr. Fox.

 
Stretching


Looking at me!


Curling up and going to sleep!



No comments: