Friday, June 7, 2024

Back to School and Work Plus Packing


"I love you Mom so much; you are my favorite mom in the world." --Blaze


Too good to go. For 3 pounds 34 p, we got a quiche, a pan au chocolate, and a blackberry plum cake. All amazing. I'm trying to live it up before we are forced out of this wonderful city. 


We finished The Wild Robot Escapes

Roses in the evening. 

Monday: I worked from a coffee shop with an almond croissant; afterward I stopped for my favorite Turkish flatbread, which I'd been craving while we were traveling. How am I going to leave? 

Francisco and I talked to my therapist in the afternoon. It was really helpful to say out loud that I'm not doing well and have her suggest some strategies. This brings me some hope. And then I talked with my doctor and came up with some things to try when I get home. 

In the evening, Francisco went to hear some jazz. The boys and I watched a little Fiddler on the Roof, Q spent some time creating video games, we read together, and we played a game of Cockroach Poker. 


Purple poppies, two ways.


What do I have to say about Tuesday? I had cake and ice cream in the middle of the day to make it through twelve long emails I had to write. I worked too much from home. 


In the evening I went to see Furiosa. 

Either I am totally losing it or the violence of the film rubbed off on me because I let some kids pushing past me to leave before the lights come on, dropping their empty beer can in my lap, really have it. I've never used four-letter words on strangers in public before. Perhaps I can just welcome returning to a small town and sitting in my own, individual car, where no one loudcasts as we go from place to place. And watching movies on my small laptop where no one pushes past me a thousand times to get in and out of the row. Perhaps there are some advantages of rural life? I really should have just welcomed my middle age authority and blocked the aisle, saying, "Sit down and enjoy the movie until the lights come on, and we'll all leave together." Or maybe I need to start watching Larry David and lean into the evolving and frustrating facets of living together in the world? 


I enjoyed the movie a lot. The theater is great (albeit with narrow rows). Just a fifteen minute walk from our house. I wanted to see Furiosa because I think Fury Road is a masterpiece. Whereas Fury Road feels like one action sequence, where you're glued to the screen for the whole thing, Furiosa does not: It's divided into 5 chapters, which slows things down a lot. At times, it felt like Fury Road in terms of action and intensity, but there were a lot more transitions as the film tried to pick up different aspects of Furiosa's childhood and string them together. One delightful surprise for me was the presence of Tom Burke in a role so different from the Cormoran Strike in which I first fell for him. 

No comments: