Thursday, October 10, 2024

Break


I'm always fascinated by the leaf prints in the fall on the light patches of sidewalk. 

We are half-way through the semester! 

Today I'm in the office working. And then vacation!

Last night was parent-teacher conferences--the teachers are great with our kids and it's wonderful to see them flourishing. Sometimes it's nice to focus on what's not hard about parenting. 

Still listening to the book about trauma. It captures so much of what I experience--tiny little things send me into an emergency-mode--things that aren't an emergency. When I'm around my kids, who are bouncing around, I'm very frequently in this emergency mode--it's painful to be revved up and on high alert for long periods of time. My mind knows I'm no longer in an emergency, but my body is stuck in it. I'm really hopeful that EMDR will be better than talk therapy for working to recalibrate my physical responses. (Because these bodily responses are really intense, I also dull my perception of everything so that I can survive them. This means that I really have no idea what I'm feeling most of the time--I've dulled my perceptions and diminished my attention to my emotions. The book says I need to become reconnected with my body and my emotions.)

For dinner last night I made up a squash and pasta and beans dish. So so good. Would have been better if I had pureed the squash more, but I was lazy. 

No comments: