Friday, August 2, 2024

Home

We're totally tired out (all slept poorly) and have just loads of unpacking to do! 

Above: Francisco's black-eyed susans. 

This morning I took Blaze in for his kindergarten testing, which should have happened in the spring, but they kindly scheduled for us today. His teacher (we hope) was so nice. And he (shy) warmed up and enjoyed hanging out with her. But he said the testing really made him tired, and he can't imagine a whole day of school--he said he's really going to have to sleep in to be ready for it.

The teacher said that about some things he covered his face with his hands and said, "That's my Eng-a-land brain"--for instance, they call "z" "zed." 

He also got a little tour of the school, so he feels calmer about it, I think.  


In the afternoon, we walked to the library where Q got lots of books and Blaze had fun playing with their toys. Then we went to our local store, where we got lots of food from our favorite caterer. 

On the walk home, Blaze asked, "Can we stop at the wardrobe?" "The wardrobe?" I said. "I mean the gazebo." 



I started unpacking the kitchen today. Lots more to do. I haven't yet found plates or bowls, so we're using our china. Good thing is, our dishwasher is broken (we knew that already), so we're handwashing everything, anyway. I'm glad to see some of our old things--many of them are lovely. But I'm also trying to accept that our house has lots of bumps and scrapes and they're all ok and it's not actually an important part of life whether we fix them or not. Francisco wrestled with a vine that was taking over our house. And saved two pears from the squirrels. 

In the evening, the boys and I went to the town's first friday event. Q bought himself a giant water-ice. I'm working on giving him more independence. I saw two colleagues, a friend, two former students (I'm so happy to be around students again), and one kid that sat by Q in first communion class. And there was a band playing jazz. Blaze got free popcorn and a light up bracelet. A perfect evening. 



 

Afterward, we had cake and ice cream for Blaze. We all said nice things about him, which made him deeply embarrassed. And he got one present--some bakugan he picked out and which he and Q played with till bed. 

We are very grateful for Blaze--he's such a good friend for Q. We're very glad that they have each other. I mean, we're grateful for a thousand things about him, too. 

No comments: