Saturday, August 3, 2024

Home

This morning the family walked to the farmers market. We got lots of produce--a few early Asian pears--and a bouquet of flowers from the lady who makes them while you wait. 

On our way to and from the market, we talked to our old neighbor who told us about the stroke he had last summer; our dear old colleague and neighbor who we usually see every week and who had his shoulder replaced and is moving with his wife to another state so they can be closer to their children as they need more support (we're so sad); and our new neighbors who have two big dogs and want us to give them all our leftover oil so they can convert it into biofuel for their diesel car. I know I am going to be a disappointment on the contributing oil front; they are a disappointment in the dogs-not-constantly-barking-at-you-when-you-go-outside-front. (They said it would be better if their great dane had a curtain so he couldn't see us, but he ripped down the curtain. Otherwise he is supposedly an angel.)

We've been unpacking, of course. The boys have been helping me a good bit, which is so so great. The kitchen is in decent shape for now. Next up: Putting clothes away. Ah--and I really need to remember to finish unloading the car. Every time I look anywhere, about three to five things that need to be done flash through my mind. 

I think Q ate eggs and toast three times today, and by the third time he was basically making it himself. My mantra with Q right now is independence--he's ready for it, he wants it, and so I'd better let him have it (even though it is gross watching raw eggs splash around the kitchen). 

My dearest friend here and her husband came over to celebrate Blaze's birthday--it was a feast of sweets--they brought donuts; we had cake and ice cream and prosecco. Lots of presents for everyone, except her husband; I'm a terrible gift giver. It was a wonderful afternoon. 

A note: Food is expensive here. I expected it to feel cheap after London, but it doesn't. It feels quite similar and in some cases more expensive. No one in London tried to sell me $7 coffee, as they did in Pittsburgh. But even here in a small town, really terrible yellow "cheddar" cheese (which I would say is basically cheese product) is just as expensive as non-dyed white crumbly delicious cheddar in London. And I think sourdough is more expensive here than it was there. Please register my disappointment. 

Oh--the boys have been in high spirits. They've been playing a lot with Blaze's bakugan. And they invented an Olympic-inspired sport--bed diving and put on a demonstration for Francisco and me. They are silly and creative and full of energy. 

I am so tired (and that makes me cranky). Why? I feel totally exhausted most of the time, even though I'm trying to just go slowly and take lots of breaks. And realize that unpacking and the house's warts will take a month/a lifetime's commitment, respectively. 


My pewabic snowdrop vase, which may be in use for its first time!

2 comments:

Hopkins said...

Hahaha, the dogs. I hate when people say their dogs are angels when they are clearly not. If they bark at strangers (happily or aggressively) they are not angels.

I too am living in a pile of boxes, and am so exhausted by every thing. I think it’s the discombobulation that aggregated everything.

Emily Hale said...

Yes--change and chaos are exhausting!!!